Monday 18 March 2019

Messy Monday #1 with Stacy and the Skye Kit!


Hello Scrappery Lovelies my name is Stacy & I am one of the new additions to The Scrappery Creative Team & could not be more excited. If you would like to know a bit more about me I have a profile up on The Scrappery website.

As well as making Happy Mail from these amazing kits I will be creating mixed media for ‘Messy Monday’s’. For a long time I have been collecting mixed media products with all intentions to start art journaling after being asked to join The Scrappery I knew with the additions of The Colour Kits (TCK) to my existing stash it was time to start my art journal journey. So I am hoping that you all reading this blog will come along with me and see my progress week to week.



I put together a disc bound art journal using 300 gsm mixed media paper. I like this style of journal as it means I can take out the page/s while I’m working on them.

You will also notice (like in my happy mail creations) the main focal point will always be a cute little girl (sometimes maybe a cute little creature) I will always list where I got this image from.

So enough of me rambling on, I will get into the details of how my very first art journal page came together.



One. I stamped the dylusions stamps onto 300gsm mixed media paper using Versafine black onyx ink (Google told me this was the best ink when using watercolour) & I printed the Vera Lane studio digital stamp onto the same mixed media paper, then fussy cut them out.



Two. After watching Ken Oliver use his watercolours on a youtube video ( I find youtube a great tool when using new tools/products) I decided the ‘indigo’ colour from the ‘Skye’ colour kit would make a great ombre background (sorry I forgot to take a photo of this before sticking everything down) but it was so easy & fun to do just with a wide brush dipped into water, a few drops of the watercolour across the top of the page and just kept brushing left to right all the way down the page dipping my brush into the water as needed.


Three. Next I watched a youtuber using the Hero arts watercolour & quickly discovered you not need very much of liquid watercolour and it goes a very long way. I used both brands of watercolour that are included in the TCK to colour the flowers, the little girl digital stamp leggings & dress. Working with watercolour is way out of my comfort zone as I haven’t as much control as I do when I use my copics, but it is a lot of fun and I will enjoy learning how to get different depths and shading with practice on my journey.

Four. In the TCK there is a Tim Holtz distress paint in blueprint sketch. I was super excited to get this colour as its one I don’t have in my stash. I actually didn’t end up using that colour but will definitely get use of it in the future ... The Colour Kits are going to be a great stash builder ... I did use 3 distress paints from my stash to show using acrylic paints & watercolours can be used together. I used a mixture of left over ‘indigo’ watercolour paint with a few drops of mustard seed acrylic paint mixed it around & got the colour for the leaves. I used the water brush to thin out the heavier acrylic paint. I then made a mix of walnut stain & antique linen for the little girls skin & just walnut stain for her hair using water to thin out the paint in some places to try & make different shading/texture for her hair.

Five. After all the paint was dry I knew I was going to make a wreath style frame with my cute little girl image as the focal point in the middle. So I just went for it sticking everything down without second guessing myself. (which is really unusual for me and I really enjoyed to freedom of it). I used scotch tacky glue putting the flowers down first tucked the leaves in next & then nestled the girl into the flower reef.

Six. Last of all I chose the very appropriate Tim Holtz Small Talk Sticker ‘ AND SO THE ADVENTURE BEGINS’ & used my hybrid gold gel pen to add some accent glittery bits.



I hope I have explained my process in a clear and easy to read way and that maybe I have encouraged some (hopefully all) to join me in my new adventure and come back next Monday to take a look at Messy Monday’s #two

Thanks for joining me.

No comments :

Post a Comment